Saturday 7 February 2009

Modern day romance???...no thanks, I'm an old fashioned kinda gal...

I think its so sad the way many relationships are nowadays. I mean where do I start? First and foremost, there seems to be a complete lack of respect for the marriage institution; many people now get married for the heck of it, neglecting to take important factors like "forever more" into consideration. In fact marriage seems to have become the new 'relationship' because many people seem to have the mentality of "if it doesn't work out, we can always get a divorce" (cue renup agreements) when they get hitched...and I wonder, what happened to the idea of marriage being for life??? Even for couples who intend to stay together, there is now the rampant issue of infidelity. Men expect to sleep with many more women other than their wife; women expect that their man will do the dirty on them (but pray that they are the one he comes home to)...this is so prolific especially with African men(black men in general?)..."it is unnatural for man to have only one partner for life" they say...I see, so the God who said that one man is to have one woman didn't know what He was talking about abi? *hiss* What kind of romance is it for a woman to go into a relationship expecting that her man will not be faithful to her?? Is this what we woman have to settle for in modern times? Is this the technological age's version of romance- the modern day kind?

Is Hollywood mostly to blame for the demise of marriage values..I mean,it certainly doesnt help the case when prominent personalities like Brad Pitt, Diddy, TomCruise, to name very few, have extremely public break ups and hook ups. Lets not even get started on rap stars with numerous "baby mamas" outside their matrimonial home. But I think hollywood can only really be blamed for exacerbating the issue; I think the real cause of the issue is society itself. Over the last century, people's morals have declined so much, and as someone once described it, "things that used to be in the closet are now commonplace, while things that used to be out (upheld) have now been pushed into the closet"...Think about it, less than half a century ago, it was almost a taboo to have a child out of wedlock, now it is widely accepted in most places(like Mastercard, lol), to say my "baby daddy", my "partner", even my "mistress"...but dare an adult mention that he/she is still a virgin, and they would be lucky to only receive strange looks and not be forcefully detained for a psych assessment!!! okay maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the point :-)

There is the very popular saying "while in Rome, do as the Romans do", which can also be applied to mean "while living in the world, do as the people do"...afterall,it is easier to conform than it is to question the status quo. So people change/lower their expectations, amend their ideals and values and join the maranga.

Me however, I refuse to settle for less. I am not after a modern-day romance, I want an old fashioned love story. I want my own "Boy meets girl, Boy and girl fall in love, Boy and Girl live happily ever after" story. I want a husband who only has eyes for me; I want a love that sticks through the thick and the thin, and doesnt "vamoose"at the first sight of trouble; I want a man who holds our relationship so sacred that he does all he can to protect it; I want a man who respects and honours me when he is at home with me, and also when he is out with da boys; I want a man who will work for 7 extra yrs if need be (Jacob!!) just to win me; I want a man who will believe me always, even when my story sounds implausible(Joseph!!);I want a man who will put his wife and kids first no matter what; I want a man who will grow old with me and still call me by the pet names he used when we first got married; I want a man who, while he may know that I am not perfect, will know that I am perfect for him....this is old-fashioned, true love, not the pseudo love we see a lot now, the fickle emotion people think is the real deal...

This is the kind of love that is worth waiting for cos to find it is like to find a rare gem -the owner will see that it is precious, valuable and indeed one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment